Free Duty/Rebate Requirements For Civil Servants


Free Duty/Rebate Requirements For Civil Servants

In terms of statutory instrument 52 of 2019 , a serving public Servant of Zimbabwe who has been in the Civil Service Commission for a period of not less than ten years and not undergoing any disciplinary proceeding can benefit from the rebate.

The rebate is for vehicles intended solely for the private use of the Serving Senior Public Servant and not for commercial or trade purposes and it should not be more under 10 years old when it is imported or taken out of bond. The maximum import value (Cost Insurance and Freight) (VDP) should be US$10 000. The rebate shall be granted on one vehicle once in five years

Here we outline the procedures for applying for the rebate:-

  • The applicant pays for their vehicle first or reserves it so that they get an Invoice /profoma invoice. 
  • The applicant then writes an application letter to the relevant Ministry furnishing them with the following:
    • Driver’s licence
    • Invoice of vehicle purchased
    • Payslip
    • Proof of residence
  • The respective Ministry will then vet the applicant and if successful write a recommendation letter to the Public Service Commission. 
  • The Public service commission also vets the papers and if successful, they issue a recommendation to the Ministry of Finance and Economic Development.
  • If the applicant is successful, the Ministry of Finance and Economic Development issues a letter authorising the applicant to import under rebate and then copies Commissioner of the Zimbabwe Revenue Authority (ZIMRA).
  • The applicant then approaches local ZIMRA office close to where they stay or work and make an application requesting the rebate. 

Zimra then issues a rebate letter which the applicant provides when importing the vehicle at the point of entry following all procedures relating to preclearance.

FAQs About Rebate Free For Civil Servants

Q - Are Kombis and trucks allowed? 
A - No. As they are commercial vehicles. 

Q - What is meant by 10 years old. 
A - If we are in year 2022, you should buy a vehicle manufactured in year 2012+. Ummmm, 2013 to be safe. Clue: Buy new shape. 

Q - Are civil servants have only to import cars from Japan or also from SA?
A - Everywhere. 

Q - Is the drivers licence a requirement? 
A - Of course, duh. 






FAQ: Free Duty/Rebate Requirements For Civil Servants
Free Duty/Rebate Requirements For Civil Servants
Here we outline the procedures for applying for the rebate:- Driver’s licence Invoice of vehicle purchased Payslip Proof of residence
Loaded All Posts Not found any posts VIEW ALL Readmore Reply Cancel reply Delete By Home PAGES POSTS View All RECOMMENDED FOR YOU LABEL ARCHIVE SEARCH ALL POSTS Not found any post match with your request Back Home Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat January February March April May June July August September October November December Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec just now 1 minute ago $$1$$ minutes ago 1 hour ago $$1$$ hours ago Yesterday $$1$$ days ago $$1$$ weeks ago more than 5 weeks ago Followers Follow THIS PREMIUM CONTENT IS LOCKED STEP 1: Share to a social network STEP 2: Click the link on your social network Copy All Code Select All Code All codes were copied to your clipboard Can not copy the codes / texts, please press [CTRL]+[C] (or CMD+C with Mac) to copy Table of Content